Hams Hall History

BMW Plant Hams Hall is one of many companies and businesses located at Hams Hall, just outside Birmingham; an area that has seen many changes over the last hundred years.

Back in the 1800s there actually was a hall on the Hams Hall estate - the ancestral home of the Adderley family. In 1919, the estate was purchased by The Birmingham Electric Company and the hall was carefully dismantled in the 1920s and partially rebuilt near Cirencester, Gloucestershire, where it was used for many years as a training facility by the Royal College of Agriculture.

In the decades that followed, Hams Hall became important once again as one of the largest electricity-generating power stations in Europe. All 13 cooling towers were demolished at the beginning of the 1990s and the land became available for redevelopment.

Construction work on the BMW factory commenced in 1998 and the building work was completed by the end of 1999. The first engine was built in May 2000 and volume production commenced in January 2001.

A recent investment programme has resulted in the installation of brand-new facilities at the plant, marking the start of another new era at the Hams Hall site.